Become a User
Los Alamos Neutron Science Center is the major experimental science facility at Los Alamos National Laboratory, underpinning the Laboratory as a world-class scientific institution.
- LANSCE User Office
- Mail Stop: H805
- (505) 667-6797
Before you arrive
- Submit a proposal
- If your proposal is approved, you will receive an email from the LANSCE User Office asking you to register. Only users listed on the proposal will be able to register. If additional visitors are expected, the PI needs to add them to the proposal so they too can register.
- If you have an approved proposal, complete your user agreement - Users are not permitted to use any LANSCE facilities until a user agreement is in place.
- Familiarize yourself with visiting LANSCE.
Coordinate your experiment with the User Office
- You will be notified of your experiment schedule at 3-6 weeks prior to your start date.
- It is important that you contact your instrument scientist and experiment coordinator as soon as you receive your experiment start date.
- If you need a special sample holder or ancillary equipment, you must make arrangements with your instrument scientist as least 6 weeks before your experiment start date.
- Complete your online training as directed by the User Office.
When you arrive
First stop: Badge Office
The Badge Office is located on the second floor of the Otowi Building (TA-3, Bld. 261).
Second stop: Gate access to LANSCE
- All users scheduled through the User Office will be allowed through the TA-53 guard gate on the date they are expected. All users must have a valid US visitor badge or an uncleared foreign national badge to get through the TA-53 guard gate. Notify the User Office if your arrival date changes.
- Initial access to LANSCE is available only during normal business hours, 6:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. Monday-Friday unless special arrangements have been made in advance with the User Office.
Third stop: Check-in at the Visitor Center
- Please come to the Visitor Center, which is the first building on the left past the guard gate. At this time, all required badges will be issued to you after you check with the Training Office to get your completed training record. The check-in process takes about 10-15 minutes, not including training.
- The LANSCE Visitor Center will guide you through the check-in process, direct you to training, and issue you with appropriate badges. The Visitor Center will also help you with any requests or questions you may have during your visit.
- Receive training, get your "green sheet" and contact your host to inform them you have completed the necessary training.
- At the Lujan Center, visit the Experiment Coordinator who will give you a briefing and direct you to the Instrument Scientist.
Before you depart
- Complete an Experiment Report
- We hope that your research at the Los Alamos Neutron Science Center was productive and successful. Please complete a User Survey .
- At the end of your experiment, return your badge and dosimetry using the drop box at the LANSCE TA-53 guard gate. DO NOT take your badges home!